Sunday, August 22, 2010

Shopping List: Vintage Glamour



I was out to find a turban hat and an off-shoulder gown. Ever since India, I’ve been dreaming in silk.

I did this sketch last night, and today I visited the monthly Street Market Festival in Highwood, a gathering of vintage vendors who love to talk fashion just as much as I do! Like a mirage, the Barbie-pink turban from my sketch appeared before me. I could not ignore such an undeniable sign from the fashion gods who, Old Testament-style, swept down from above to grant my wish. Sometimes you want something so badly that the universe will conspire for you to get it. This is one of those times.


I began to imagine the woman who once owned this turban. Sashaying through a late-summer party with a martini, what else would she wear? High-waisted cigarette jeans and a decadently beaded shell.




I found a lone clip-on earring amongst the stash of my grandmother's jewelry and it works perfectly with the hat!


Vintage beaded top from ???, AG “Catwalk” jeans, Vintage turban, purchased from the Highwood Street Market Festival, Chie Mihara shoes, Grandmother’s Rolex and clip-on earring (on turban)

No comments:

Post a Comment